Thursday, May 07, 2015

A peek into the Queen's back garden

Hello, Dear Readers,

A couple of weeks ago we had day out in London, and I am so glad it wasn't the day the power failed on the railway and many trains were stuck for hours!

We arrived in London at Victoria Station and walked the short distance to Westminster Cathedral.

Westminster Cathedral

Our aim was to see the views from the tower, but it did cost a little more than we anticipated (£6 per adult whereas their website quoted £5).   My photograph is a little lacking as I have missed the top of the tower and there is far too much foreground!  Believe it or not it was sunny and I was dazzled and unable to see the picture in the viewfinder to check what I had taken.

St Paul's Cathedral

St Paul's Cathedral in the distance, sadly now being obscured by the higgledy piggldy mess of modern construction.   Poor old Wren could never have imagined it!

Our little peek into the Queens garden!

Buckingham Palace gates
Buckingham Palace gates
The plans of the Cathedral are on display in the tower and this one made me think of patchwork or embroidery.

Cathedral plans
Cathedral plans
Mosaics
Mosaics in Westminster Cathedral
Mosaics
Mosaics within Westminster Cathedral 
Mosaics
You'd never guess!  More mosaics

Well a trip to London would not be complete without a visit to our favourite Organic Vegetarian Italian restaurant, Amico Bio.

Amico Bio

Starter
My starter
Vegan Ice Cream at Amico Bio
Vegan ice cream - yummy!

I didn't eat alone, but I was too slow to take pictures of the other's meals' before they started them. 

Amico Bio

It was nice to be able to sit at a window table and enjoy our meals whilst watching the world go by.

Amico Bio

After our very tasty and filling meal we decided to walk it off.  That was when we found a row of Ferrari's parked by the roadside, like you do!  There were many passers-by taking pictures, and, why not, I joined in too! Again, I have more pictures but I'm sure you wouldn't want to see them all.

Ferraris in a line

Our last viewpoint of the day, for photos, was Staple Inn.


Staple Inn


Staple Inn


A pretty escape from the hustle and bustle of town!  But then we had to face the tubes and trains again to get home.  I was pretty tired by the end of the day and glad when I was able to get a nice cup of tea and have a sit down.

If you've made it to the end, I thank you for popping by, and hope to see you again soon.

Barbara xx

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Lovely to see your pictures of Westminster - I was there once but it was a very long time ago and of course I've forgotten what it was like. I do remember being impressed though! Wouldn't it have been fun to find out why all the red Feraris were parked there?

FlashinScissors said...

Hi Mary Anne

It was late in the day, and, as there didn't appear to be a vehicle transporter waiting, I assumed they had been returned from a car show and it looked as though they were waiting to go back into storage.

I Googled "Ferraris parked on the street in London in April" and found a video on Utube entitled "Ferraris Old and New parked in Holborn, London, UK" that looks like it was recorded on the same day, and the cars were, I mean "old and new"! I think I stood to one side while the person was recording this video, and I was taking my pictures too.

I also saw a news article in the Daily Mail which can be found by Googling the following: "worst valet - hapless bringing round owners hit accelerator instead of brake". How awful!! Barbara xx